poodle bad breath

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

poodle bad breath
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Grooming
::  
poohbear08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: poodle bad breath Reply with quote

My poodle Buddy has horrible dog breath. What does anyone recommend, products, what to do?
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lucy has had horrid breath since the day I got her. the vet has totally checked everything, esp all around her teeth..gum area cause her other stuff came back fine. He did cultures in her mouth..nothing out of the ordinary and her teeth were great. He even checked deep in her ears thinking it was just seemed like it was coming out of her mouth.
My dogs use puppy pads so I can keep up on bms and stuff..well thats not the reason but it helps lol. The pads are just very convienent and they will come in the house to potty rather than outside lol..well except Lucy. We thought maybe she was eating poo but so far I have never caught her doing that. It is a mystery but it does smell like poo. I am wondering if its the fur around her mouth because she is very very fastidious with her cleansing. I may need to just wash her face a lot during day..but usually mouth odor that is bad is a sign of teeth problem usually, is what my vet said.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam
Enneirda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 8 or 9 years or so, I'd assume the smell is from tarter. Getting his teeth cleaned by a vet or trying something like this could help. http://www.petzlife.com/item/OralSpray Be sure he has lots of good chew toys, they'll help him keep a healthy mouth as well.

What do you feed him? A good quality food like one of these http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/8 will help lesson bad breath.

There are also dog breath mints lol. http://www.petnutritionproducts.com/8in1ddsdentalbreathmintsfordogs40tablets-p-1585.html
Sasha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add caution as to the link on the foods. I was doing some digging on the first one that "seemed" like one my dogs would like. On doing a google search away from that link..this is what I found:
http://www.itchmo.com/innova-testing-results-posted-by-ceo-of-naturapet-1845

no food of any kind should have acetaminophen (that is what is commonly called tylenol btw)..in their food. In going through just half of what was written..this supposed high grade kibble was being manufactured in china and was part of a recall.
I question many of these lists probably too much because having been a nurse for 27yrs..I know how scientists can "bend" results to how they want it to show..basically how their paycheck ppl want it to bend.
I am very skeptical tbh of a good many of these studies but if you search beyond the list for atleast 5 sources that have them in the top 4-5 stars should be ok. I am still looking but may end up cooking for mine at this rate. I do think I want to try the blue buffalo on mine since there have been a few here that said they were happy with it. Mine love their chewies but I still think for good bowel action they need the bulk of kibble along with wet..but thats just me

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam
DL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess any packaged food could be bad, we would need to send in samples ourselves to be sure that the food is what it says it is.

I homecook. I know what is in my dogs food for the most part. I do use a premix on occasion and I suppose they could have stuff in there that isn't what it says but it is a tiny part of their diet. I also use kibble food as treats once in a while.

I found with some of my previous rescue dog that when they started eating real food their bad breath was gone. Think how bad our burps smell when we eat something that doesn't digest well, then think about eating that all day, every day.

If you use a bagged food, you have to try and believe they only put good ingredients in their food. Go with several that you feel use good ingredients and rotate through. No one food is going to have every nutrient a body needs otherwise we would have people kibble.

Dawn, Spike and Maggie
grab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it isn't a dental issue...tarar, loose teeth, hair caught in the teeth, retained puppy teeth, etc..then I would try changing the food as others have suggested.

The site linked has some good suggestions, though I suggest in the end going with what works for your pet.
Deb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest dog has bad breath, I found out that if I keep up on brushing her teeth and use the CET mouth rinse I bought from our vet she is very much improved.
dman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NaturVet do a number of products for bad breath, some work at both ends Embarassed whilst some clean teeth as well. Finally there is one that just does the breath.
PudelLuv

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually with mine it means they need their teeth cleaned. George naturally accumulates way more tartar than Chloe does for some reason, maybe just like people, there are differences. His breath is also stinkier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps look into Oxyfresh or Biotene? It looks like Oxyfresh is more geared to breath odor. I don't know anything about either of them or if they have positive or negative reviews but years ago I saw an Oxyfresh booth set up at a dog event. I talked with the rep and was very interested but didn't have the money to spend on it. Honestly, I didn't even remember it until now....maybe I'll research the two a bit!

-Janice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: