Cushings Disease

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cushings Disease

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
gibbiesmom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Cushings Disease Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone else has had a poodle with Cushings. My vet is going to be testing my toy poodle Gibrien for Cushings and after doing some research myself it really does sound like this is what we are facing. He has all the signs, pot belly, muscle weakness, excessive thirst.

Gibs had health problems all his life, he is epileptic. He started limping last year and it has been on and off all this time with them trying everything from splinting his leg to treating him for Lyme disease! I can't understand why my other vet that I used to have never thought of this. I have since gotten a new vet who is taking his time looking into Gibs history and background.

I just wonder what I am facing with this. I would love any info someone could give me.

Thank you so much
Heidi
Deb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with a dog having this but there should be plenty of info on the internet. I feel bad for you little guy but I do think it is treatable. Let us know what you make out.
lil_MAINEiacs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sorry you are facing this!

Mom2sunny who posts here recently lost a precious poodle who had lived for years with Cushings I am sure she would help you out with questions and support.
kwizikal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little experience with Cushing's. My last poodle had it initially as a result of a short trial of prednisone, which can trigger Cushings. Years later it came back but was mild, not as you've described. My vet at that time (retired now) said the treatment (then) was somewhat toxic - my poodle would survive 2 years on it, but probably not longer due to the med - so he advised not to put her on it. She lived many years with mild Cushing's and did not die or suffer pain from it - we had regular testing and check-ups. I'm thinking that there is now a better treatment for it, if this is what Gibrien has. Hopefully someone here has more experience with it, and your vet can also guide you. I'm so sorry Gibrien is having problems Sad
mom2sunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heidi,

My toy poodle, Misty, was diagnosed with cushings disease at the age of 7.
Our main concern was to find a vet who was experienced with treating the disease. Took some searching but we found a wonderful vet who diagnosed, treated and managed her disease quite well. She too had several other issues.

I would be more than happy to help you find a starting place and to learn more about what you are facing should it indeed be cushings.

Also, that 2 year thing is a bunch of hog-wash. My girl lived to be almost 14 1/2 years and was taken by something else entirely. It is a fairly easy disease to manage if you have a knowledgeable vet with expertise in treating and managing the disease.

Here is an excellent link where you can read all the valid information and experienced posts that will give you some understanding and support of
cushings.
http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
kwizikal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mom2sunny, I sincerely apologize for giving incorrect information and am very glad you were able to give better, positive info on Cushings. I checked out the link you provided and apparently my (retired) vet did not know how to administer the medication properly. This is one of the wonderful things about this forum - we can all learn from each other Smile I'm sure gibbiesmom has found relief in your well-informed post!
mom2sunny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem Kwizikal. Very Happy

There are a lot of vets out there who shy away from cushings disaese, or even worse,
try to approach it without correct testing and proper treatment. That's what is scary!
They are usually the ones who use the "2 year" , or "treatment is worse than
the disease" scare tactics. Mad Actually, the disease is very manageable (not curable)
when you have an experienced and knowledgeable vet.
ChristinaJane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: I feel real bad Reply with quote

After reading this I feel really sad, Toby and Rose both had cushings disease, and with Toby his was far advance and he had other complications, he also had eplisey. The vet informed us that the treatment was worse and very expensive, so we took Toby home for a few days and made the decision to let him go. Now I feel did we do the right thing, he was only 10 1/2 years.
Then Rose over a month ago after have numerous bouts of pancreatitis, the vet told us after blood tests that she also had cushings. So once again we made the decision to put her down. she was also 10 1/2 years. There was also, I can't quite remember, I think liver, and blood clotting had gone, as her right eye, the white, had filled with blood. And when they put her down, her arm would not clot.
God now I wonder did we do the right thing with both of our babies, the one and only reason we made the decision was we did not want them to suffer. I feel so bad now. Rose was my baby girl and Toby was Warren's boy, but geez.

Christina
Gemmasmummy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody. I am new to this forum and my little Gemma was diagnosed with the disease at the age of 9. I knew as soon as the symptoms started that she had got Cushings Disease. I remember her being very depressed for a while and recall her lying facing the wall much of the time. Then she started to drink excessively and was ravenous for food. She is now on the vetoryl tablet which has given my baby a new lease of life. She is on the 30mg dosage a day but of late she has been having more wet accidents so I have upped her medication to 45mg per day and she seems as right as rain just now. Please don't be too upset to hear that your doggy has been diagnosed with this disease like I was at the time because it is controllable. I am sorry to hear of your poorly dogs. We love our furbabies so much and they are such a worry aren't they but please don't fret as you can control it. Here is where I get my tablets they are much cheaper than buying them direct from the vet. However, you do need a prescription from your vet which they charge an extra 13 but still it works out a lot cheaper than buying the medication directly from themselves x

http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ca0&s=vetoryl
mom2sunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

So very glad to hear of your success with cushings disease. As you said, it can be treated and controlled with the correct dosage of meds, whether it be Vetroyl (Trilostane) or Lysodren (Mitotane) and regular ACTH testing to make sure the numbers are where they should be. Some pups do well with low numbers and some do better with slightly higher numbers. What were your baby's latest ACTH numbers?

Do you give Pepcid AC before dosing? Just a FWIW, a weight appropriate dose about 30 minutes before giving meds (meds should always be given with food), will keep the tummy from getting upset and ease the thump of the cushings meds. Not every doggie gets the tummy issues, but just in case, your vet might want to give it a try.

Would love to hear more about your cushings journey as it is one of my passions and I can direct you to a wonderful cushings forum if you are interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: