recipe for home made dog food

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recipe for home made dog food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
Cape Westy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: recipe for home made dog food Reply with quote

I'm no convinced that Scruffy's constant itching and chewing is a food allergy. I too have food allergies and know it's almost impossible to pinpoint the root cause. I use Wellness 5 dry dog food, the only one he will eat. He also gets a little olive oil in his food a few times a week It has no wheat, corn, soy, or several of the other know offenders but he is getting worse by the day.
He will sit and scratch & chew now just like he has a bad case of fleas but he doesn't. It's nothing we are bathing him in, I have tried several different things, no difference. We only give him a bath every 3 to 4 weeks.
I would really appreciate a recipe for home made food for him, maybe chicken & rice or something like that. I just want to be sure there is enough in it to give him all the trace elements and vitamins he needs.

I know I'm not the only one with this problem so please help. Thanks in advance
Wendy
aka Cape Westy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did pm you but perhaps others would be interested--

Well it can be really simple or it can be really complicated!

I always recommend www.dogaware.com as is has many articles about making your own food.

I find with my dogs they are really good with most foods as long as it is real food and not kibble.

I usually get the cheapest meat that is on sale--ground beef, chicken, turkey, rarely pork.

I cook up the meat, puree some veggies and add egg shell powder for calcium. I do add fish (sardines, salmon, jack mackeral, etc) for omega oils. Occasionally I use a multivitamin (typically I use Call of the Wild powder).

I also used a premix in the past because it made me more confident that I was meeting their needs. There are several great grain free premixes out there (avoid grains for any itchy dog). You can check out Urban Wolf (my dogs fav) and Honest Kitchen (watch they do have grain food too). Good supplier is www.doggiefood.com

The best thing to do for a itchy dog is to use a limited diet to get him over the itching and then you can add a new food one at a time to see what brings the itch back (and know never to use that food again).

Example of my last batch--

9 lbs ground turkey
2 lbs cooked sweet potato
12 oz package frozen peas cooked and pureed
2 1/2 tsp egg shell powder
6 eggs
1 small can tuna

I feed about 3/4 cup per 10 lbs of body weight. I tend to over feed to begin with and just watch their weight and adjust from there.

Most elimination diets will have you feed just one protien and one veggie (ex-turkey and sweet potato) for a couple months.

I found out early on that Spike doesn't really seem to have an allergy to any real foods but if I try to sneak in some kibble and even some vitamins he is itching again. So I plan on feeding him a large variety of green and orange veggies and rotate proteins regularly.

I now dehydrate chicken for treats because even a couple biscuits set him off. I guess it is the grain or the vitamins (or both) for him.

He can handle bully sticks and various dried muscle chews if they aren't smoked.

I also recommend joining http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K9Nutrition

Lew has a site with newsletters that give lots of feeding info. She also sells supplements but they aren't necessary for most dogs but are available if you want to try.

I make a large batch and freeze in gladware type containers and just defrost enough for a couple days.

Good luck! You need to do what you are comfortable with and what works for you and your dog, don't let anyone tell you there is only one right way to feed.

Dawn, Spike and Maggie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: