Gerber for an old dog

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gerber for an old dog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Gerber for an old dog Reply with quote

I have a toy poodle going on 18 years old. Her teeth are bad and the vet doesn't want to clean them because of elevated kidney numbers. She's become a very finicky eater, and I'm sure it's because of her teeth. Two foods she'll eat are broth with noodles, if the noodles are chopped small, and Gerber baby foods, such as chicken with chicken gravy or turkey with turkey gravy. She seems to be doing okay on it so far, but I was wondering about long term effects. At this point we're more interested in her quality of life than a proper diet. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Coco86

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to ask your vet. It sounds okay to me if the baby food doesn't contain a lot of fats, sugar, and sodium. Is she a healthy weight? She sure has lived a long life! Our toy poodle Dolly was 14 when she finally was put to sleep. Her teeth were bad too, we never brushed them, but we do now with our other three because we know the health risks now. Dolly was blind with bad arthritis in the end, and she got to the point she didn't want to leave her crate.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Coco86. It was the vet who suggested Gerber on a limited basis, and has said if we need to go full time, we could. I just wondered what others have tried or had good luck with, or if anyone has had any negative reactions. Overworrying, I guess.

Also, sorry to hear about Dolly. They sure do become a part of the family.
Virangos

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of her age I think a Gerber diet full time is ok. She has had a great life let her enjoy what she wants..

In dog Years I/m Dead

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Virangos. That's what we're doing, but I don't think we're going to have her much longer.

This has been a great forum over the years. I've only posted or asked questions a few times, but I've searched a lot. It's great having a place to go to when you're not sure what to do. Hope everyone knows their feedback is appreciated.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone, for your replies and help over the years. We lost our little girl on Thursday. Logically, it was time, emotionally, it never will be. She would have been 18 on Aug. 6th, so she had a full and hopefully happy life. Her name was April. Her sister, who passed away last Feb. 13, was Annie.
Coco86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

April was so lucky to have you in her life, and you were blessed to have her for so long. I'm sorry to hear of her passing. I know that she knew how much you loved her. You will always miss her, it's very hard no matter how young or old they are when the time comes. Sorry to hear about her sister Annie, did she live with you?
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Coco86. Yes, they were sisters and litter mates, and we brought them both home on the same day. They were as opposite as day and night, but still good buds.
Kasst157

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear about April and Annie. They lived a very long life with you and I'm sure it was a full and happy one.
ShadowsMom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, so sorry about your loss, we lost our precious Shadow on May 18 and I still cry every day. It is hard to come back to the forms but everyone is so nice and understanding here. Before Shadow passed all we could feed Shadow was Gerber as the Vet suggested, she really liked it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: