spine surgery and OCD paw licking

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spine surgery and OCD paw licking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
KateRose

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: spine surgery and OCD paw licking Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I haven't been on this site in a while and wanted to post an update in the hopes of someone having some advice or tips. My toy poodle Ladybug had spine surgery for a ruptured disc last July. It was needed to prevent further paralysis. She has since healed up very well. It was not guaranteed that she would walk again and has been in physical therapy up until very recently. She doesn't walk totally normal but still manages to get around. She can use her back legs but sometimes opts not to as they are weaker then her front two. Additionally we are still having to manually express her. She can go to the bathroom on her own sometimes but its proving hard to re potty train her at this point. I'm hoping warmer weather makes it easier.

Lastly she has developed a severe case of obsessively licking her paws which I have read can come after a traumatic experience or time period of being immobile. Her food was changed to mitigate allergies and shes been tested for any sort of surface parasites. I have so use the e collar (cone) often and I feel terrible.

Sorry for my rambling it was harder to explain in text. Feel free to ask any clarifying questions. I am really struggling to juggle all of these complications at once and would love any suggestions. Thank you so much.
Virangos

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the licking. my Noelle has been a compulsive licker since she was a baby, paws, my face, arms, whatever she can reach..Shes now 11 still can't stop her.
If you find an answer PLEASE let me know.

In dog Years I/m Dead

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: