Itching after a bath

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Itching after a bath
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Grooming
::  
anthonyhague

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Itching after a bath Reply with quote

After a bath with human shampoo, baby shampoo for the face and conditioner on the legs to make brushing easier, my toy poodle always licks his front paws for days after but this time he it itching the body more than normal, mainly back legs. NO physical signs though.

Even though their are No physical signs Max has been to the vet in the past and the vet has given a thorough inspection an says he just makes a big fuss, and I believe this is true. My first girl poodle didn't squeak and itch like this.

Any idea of a better shampoo or something that might give him a bit more relief?
anthonyhague

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudocreme - That stuff they use on chapped babies bums. My poor boy is covered in white creme and its getting transferred all over my bed but he is content so I am too. For now.

Would still like a suggestion for a better shampoo?
Kasst157

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My poodles are very sensitive to shampoos too. I use CC day to day shampoo, followed by CC Thick N Thicker, then Ice on Ice spray before blow drying them.
anthonyhague

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the UK, this "CC" product sounds ideal, can you help me with a link Please?
Kasst157

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chrissystems.com/thicker-coats-dogs-cats-show-dogs-groomers.aspx

I really like their products. No more itching and dry flaky skin after switching to their products. I use to use oatmeal shampoo and oatmeal conditioner on them. It was better but they were still itchy. After switching to CC products everything was good
anthonyhague

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I've just bought an expensive product called Combined DermOpt. But your CC products are available from a place in the UK called http://www.showdogdirect.co.uk I'm going to get in touch with them now.

Mixi's tummy is starting to turn red where he is itching so I'm going to do all I can to help him.

Many Thanks
ant...
anthonyhague

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sites.google.com/site/thefastestpoodle/home-remedies-for-dog-itch

EPSOM SALTS - Like the page says "Its a Miracle cure for itchy dogs" and thank God, because I had some at home and I couldn't bare my little man suffering any longer.

Im sure medicated shampoo's would do the trick too, but I put 2 table spoons of Epsom salts in the washing up sink, dropped his 2 back legs in and bathed the itchy bits and it was an instant cure.

Embarassed Actually I've just caught him licking again, maybe its natural for dogs after suffering for 2 days. Ill keep my eye on it though. Few, he stopped after 30 seconds.

Thanks for your help and ill let you know how he gets on. Cheers
anthonyhague

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPSOM SALTS WORKS!!!

Its been a couple of hours and yes like any normal dog he keeps having a quick play with the original itchy sites, but the problem is over.

I want to add that my dog has regular vet check ups and has the best flea/mite protection, so I knew it wasn't that.

Thanks for any help Smile
Kasst157

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably just has really sensitive skin. But a good shampoo is a must since poodles are bathe so often. My 2 gets a bath every 2 weeks. It use to be once every week then I slacked and it's once every 2 weeks now.

If you get the CC products let me know how it works for you
anthonyhague

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my little man isn't a show dog, infact I'm not sure he was even allowed to breed on his certificate, but that didn't matter to me, he was the last and scarred on his own so I had to save him. We don't bath him so often because he doesn't like the brushing. Unless its summer when he likes a swim.

My little man is sleeping beautifully now, so I'm very happy. We will definitely be checking out those shampoo's, the ones I've ordered first.

Thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: