Diet

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
Nee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Diet Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Does anyone give their pooch any dairy product as part of their diet or a treat? I've been giving Peiko a little bit of shredded plain cheese (a little bit being about a teaspoon) once or twice a day but I'm beginning to think that this is affecting his poops. They've become quite soft nowadays and I actually had to wipe his bottom for the first time on our walk this afternoon (not fun) so the cheese has been banned. I put more biscuit into his dinner tonight but what amount of dairy can I/should I give him ?
Coco86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard mixed messages about giving cheese to dogs. Our three never had issues, but they are on diets right now to lose a few pounds. We cut down on their dogfood portions, both wet and dry food. We give them carrots and bell pepper as treats, which was approved by our vet as low calorie, healthy treats for them. They love them! They get no other table scraps. Some websites say dairy can cause stomach upset for dogs, it may be a treat Peiko can't tolerate.
Nee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coco - yes, it does sound as if Peiko's tummy is reacting with the cheese. I'll stop it for now and see how he goes. Thanks.
Kasst157

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give cheese as treats sometime and they love a few sip of milk when I'm having it especially warmed milk. My 2 babies have a pretty tough stomach as they were introduced to different types of fresh meats, fruits, and cheeses when they were pups.
Nee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peiko is about 6 1/2 years old now and I adopted him when he was 3 so I don't really know what type of food he was brought up on, so I've been kind of playing it safe with the doggie biscuits and his wet food. He does get his other little doggie treats (some vegies, special cookies, liver treats, etc) but since cutting out the cheese, I've noticed a bit of a difference in the poops. I've also put it down to living in a new home - I recently moved into a smaller home, just for six months while I find a place to buy, so he doesn't have the big backyard he used to have and he can't see the dogs next door because of the fencing. There are a lot of different noises in the complex that he tries to understand so I think the move has been a bit distressing for him. Hopefully when I find our permanent home soon, things will get back to normal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: