Hello - Newbie with a barky toy poodle cross

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello - Newbie with a barky toy poodle cross

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> New Members Introductions
::  
Wanda1989

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Hello - Newbie with a barky toy poodle cross Reply with quote

Hello, I've been a lurker on other dog forums but I've come to this forum seeking some advice on my toy poodle x Cavalier. He's my first dog, I live with my parents and we've had him from 9 weeks old. He's now 9 months. Currently unneutered, but we plan on getting him neutered fairly soon, since he's got the "unneutered male dog smell" going on (despite weekly baths).

He's sort of reached a stage where I can't wear him out, and he's really barky/unsettled if I leave him alone. It's lucky that I'm currently studying from home, because I don't think he would cope with me working 9-5 away from home. Since we've had him, our dining room has been baby-gated and he's used to being in there by himself for a few hours at a time, whilst we're elsewhere in the house. But recently he's started to refuse to settle in there - barking, whining, pacing in circles and jumping up at the gate (he's left with toys, kongs and chews, but refuses to play with them unless somebody is in there with him).

He's also really barky in the mornings, waiting for me to come downstairs. And when I leave him to go get breakfast/brush my teeth before walking him, he goes slightly nuts - running in circles and barking.

He's walked daily (either once or twice, with at least one being off-lead or on a long line), and I clicker train him. But his attention barking is a massive issue - I've just been ignoring it, and I now have a dog who has gained stamina in barking.

Also - he's really ball/tug obsessive? (I wasn't aware this was a Cav or poodle trait ? ) Although this only applies to boring environments - he'll completely ignore me on walks, whether I'm carrying a ball, tug or treats.

Any suggestions really appreciated
Kasst157

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are going thru the barking issue. Can you try teaching him the quite command? Sorry I'm no help with the barking. My 2 toys will bark when someone drives pass our house or other neighbors are in their back yard but will stop when I tell them it's ok. Each time they stopped barking I'll give them a treat and now all I do is say it's ok without any treats. Hopefully others can chime in and afford some advise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> New Members Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: