I feel like a failure Mum :(

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I feel like a failure Mum :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle
::  
CharlesBarkley

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: I feel like a failure Mum :( Reply with quote

I love Charles, I thought all was going well, until Charles learnt to get over the barriers we had created to keep him in one area of the house... I thought he was toilet trained he was doing very well with only an accident once a fortnight, now he has gained full access of the house and is going to the toilet where ever he sees fit, and usually it is when I am studying and have my eye off him for one minute!!

He has also started barking at me when I just want to pet him, or cuddle him... he thinks we are playing and his playing now involves barking Sad When I put him in his pen when I can't keep my eye on him for long he literally screams when I go to the toilet or when he hears me wake up in the morning to get ready for work...

I am trying to teach him that the behaviour I do not want is not acceptable but some times when he has done the wrong behaviour it takes me 10 minutes just to grab him and tell him no and put him in his pen for a time out... so he thinks I am continuing to play with him which I am rewarding the bad behaviour with... but when I ignore him he just keeps barking or biting my feet or pants... I just can't win!

I feel like the worst Mum every, I feel so horrible when I understand he probably isn't getting it because of ME!!! I am not doing it right, I spend sooooo much time with him, I take him everywhere with me, I have never left him longer then 5 hours for work, because of him I found a new job with shorter hours... and I take him to puppy pre-school (obedience training starts in 3 weeks after his 3rd needle)!

I need help but people give me ideas and ways to sort out the bad behaviour but I feel like I am just not doing it right... I am thinking I am going to have to go out and buy some baby barriers to keep him in the one room again.... but when will I be able to trust him to have full access to the house again... I thought I knew what I was doing, but I am totally failing and do not know what to do anymore Sad
Kasst157

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you are going thru this. How old is he now? I wonder if he's going thru adolescent phase? I heard they are super bad and tests their boundaries. My Gucci and Miu Miu must have skipped this phase...I hope.

Poodles are so darn smart. If he's getting out of his barriers now I'm sure he'll find a way to get out of the new barrier. Gucci learned to climb out of he's playpen in less than a month. Then when I got Miu Miu I stretched the playpen to keep them inside one area since Miu Miu was still potty training. Gucci backed up and jumped right over the fence without even touching the top. Then he went and pushed the playpen open a teeny bit just big and long enough to allow Miu Miu to squeeze through.

I would not put him in timeout in his playpen. That should be an area he likes to go to. He should feel happy and safe in there. If you punish him and put him in there then he will hate being in there or even sleeping in there cuz it's punishment. Try feeding him in his playpen and giving him treats/chews there. He should learn to like it in there. Going in means only good things.

Does he go outside to potty? Or uses the wee wee pads? Retrain him either way like you did when he was a puppy. Take him outside or to his pad every 2 hours and make a huge deal when he does his business and lots of treats and hugs. If he doesn't go then take him there again every 30 minutes till he does.

As far as the barking. He's probably way to excited and wants to play. Try ignoring him when he barks. Turn your back and no attention at all until he calms down. Even telling him no or bad boy is giving him attention.

Sorry I'm no expert, these were things that I did with my babies. I hope they help a bit. Let us know how he does. Oh and I wonder if he's pooping in the house cuz he's upset about sometime. My babies are 100% potty trained. Never ever any accidents. But everytime I go on vaca they potty and pee on my carpet and in multiple spots too. I think that's their way of letting me know that they are upset and disapproves of me going on vacas. Lol
acgilbertson

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that he is testing you. Those rebellious little babies what are we going to do with them? Zeus was good, very little accidents in the house, always stayed very close to me. Out little Zoey on the other hand has been night and day. She likes to push every button. We had her in puppy diapers for about a month because she would go potty when every she wanted and not outside. She's got it down now, but it took a lot of treats and a lot of patients. Working on commands too, really helped. She still acts up like grabbing my robe in the morning, or throwing a fit when I hold Zeus, but she is much better now.
Give him time and remember to praise him when he is good. With Zoey she loves playing tug-o-war, so that is a reward for her when she does something good.

3POOCHYS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: symptom of dominant behavior Reply with quote

He have a small dog syndrome(symptom of dominant behaviour)
One of our poodles have this syndrome. Luke do not take command very well. General he is very good boy. I called him "My shadow". He at my feet all the time. He do not get along with any dogs except our another 2 dogs(poodle &Chihuahua)

His "Vet' said no HOPE for Luke. She suggest CLAMING Collar. The collar have PHEROMONE.
I got the collar from PETMART.The brand I use call SENTRY.

www.sentrypetcase.com

GOOD LUCK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: