Close Call Last Wednesday

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Close Call Last Wednesday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
Coco86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Close Call Last Wednesday Reply with quote

Last Wednesday, we had a very frightening--well, downright horrifying situation happen with Rosie. Before I tell the story, I assure everyone here that Rosie is fine now, completely happy, healthy, and back to her old self.

Last Wednesday was the day the poodles take their monthly deworming tablet. They recently changed companies that make the pills, and the chewable tablets are larger than they used to be. Rosie has always hated taking hers, and refuses to chew it. We hid the tablet in one of her soft dog treats and gave it to her, but she refused to eat it. Instead, she panicked and swallowed the treat without chewing first, and it became lodged in her airway. I was holding her when she swallowed it, and all of a sudden she went stiff in my arms.

My mom carried her into the dining room and set her down to see what was wrong, and Rosie began stumbling, unable to walk properly. Then she just went limp and we realized that she had the treat stuck in her throat. My mom grabbed a blanket and laid Rosie on the table to examine her. Rosie was having difficulty breathing, or she may have stopped breathing all together. My dad looked at her and said she was dying. She looked so limp, and was struggling to breathe. She had this glassy look in her eyes, and one pupil was very large. She was looking up at my dad with this frightening expression in her eyes, as if she knew she was starting to slip away. My mom quickly stuck her finger in Rosie's throat, and felt the treat lodged there. She managed to push the treat down, and then my mom and I rushed Rosie to the 24 hour Emergency Vet. My dad stayed home to watch Sunny and Sadie.

It's about a 15-20 mile drive to the nearest Emergency Vet. Rosie was shaking in my mom's lap as she sped down the freeway. We were halfway there when Rosie began licking the air like she usually does, and she perked up and climbed into my lap in the passenger seat, licking my face like crazy. She was very alert, breathing normal, and licked my face constantly the rest of the drive to the vet. It was almost as if she suddenly realized that she had nearly died...

I called my dad just before we arrived at the vet to let him know that Rosie had improved. Once we got inside the lobby of the vet, they immediately sent a nurse out to look Rosie over before we checked in. The nurse checked her gum color, and assured us that Rosie was out of immediate danger, because her gums were pink. If she were still in danger, they would have been blue or white, she explained.

The vet examined Rosie and confirmed that her breathing was normal, and her throat was no longer obstructed. The vet told my mom that she saved Rosie's life by sticking her finger in her throat, because that dislodged the treat. She told us to keep and eye on Rosie for any abnormal signs, but assured us that she was okay now.

On the way home we had to stop by my niece's apartment so she could see that Rosie was okay. I had called her on the way to the vet and told her what happened, and she was very upset and crying on the phone. But she was better once she saw that Rosie was out of danger.

They told us at the vet that since Rosie will not take the dewormer tablet on her own, that it is okay for us to crush the tablet in some yogurt or soft dog food and give it to her that way. So that is what we will be doing with all three of the poodles from now on, we don't ever want this to happen again.

It has taken me all week to finally sit down and type this out. At the time, I couldn't believe what was happening. My dog was dying right before our eyes, we just knew in our hearts that she was. Her overexcited reaction in the car only confirmed this. Rosie knew that she had almost left us forever. It was like she was reassuring me that she was okay. This was probably the most terrifying moment I have ever experienced in my life. We are all just so relieved that Rosie is alive and well today.

I don't know what I would do without my babies. Someone was watching over Rosie that day.
Kasst157

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG that was so scary. I'm so glad that Rosie is ok. Thank you for letting us know that Rosie is fine from the beginning of the post otherwise I think I would have passed out from holding my breath reading the rest of the post. I can't imagine what you and your family went thru. Good thing that your mom acted quick. I'm always afraid that my babies would swallow something that they're not suppose too. This is scaring me.
Nee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy that Rosie is ok - I had tears in my eyes reading it even though I knew she was ok. Someone was definitely looking down and looking after you all. Lots of cuddles and kisses to Rosie.
goldie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im so happy Rosie is ok!!!!!!! that must of been horrible for you and your family, and Rosie. I know that look in her eyes like you were talking about, and its really scary to watch. Your mom did awesome with dislodging the treat!!!! I had tears in my eyes reading this too, thank God for happy endings.
Coco86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone. It was definitely a terrifying experience, one that I hope we never experience again. I've grown up with poodles all my life. We lost Squirt at age six when I was nine years old due to being hit by a car. Then we had Dolly for 14 years, and had to put her to sleep because of age. I hope that Rosie, Sunny, and Sadie stay with us for a long time as well...
Coco86

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going through all my poodle stories on here to put them together for a diary, and after rereading this one, I wonder if this incident was actually Rosie's first seizure? The behavior she exhibited is almost exactly like when she has a seizure, the way she stiffened in my arms. Maybe that is why she nearly choked, because she was actually going into a seizure and couldn't swallow. If so, she actually had 3 seizures last year.

Rosie had another seizure last week, after 6 months being seizure free. This was a small one, and she came out of it quickly, since we carried her outside for air. The vet said just to watch her in case she has any more. Apparently breakthrough seizures are common even with the medication.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: