Is this normal?

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this normal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Grooming
::  
Kasst157

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Is this normal? Reply with quote

Gucci's losing his puppy hair, but I think his adult hair isn't growing in as fast as him losing his puppy hair. Therefore his hair doesn't seem as dense as before. If you look closer at the shorter trimmed areas it almost looks like he has some bald spots here and there. Is this normal?
Jack-A-Poo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought poodles don't loose puppy hair? The puppy hair would grow into adult hair, meaning same strand of hair but the adult hair comes in from the puppy hair. That is why you can see straight puppy hair at the end of the strand with curly hair towards the skin in puppies going through coat change.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I brush him every other day and still find small Matts. When I brush the Matt some of the tangle hair comes out. I thought he loses his puppy hair and new adult hair grows in. If this is not the case then he definitely is losing hair.
Jack-A-Poo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppy hair are soft and wispy and they get tangled with the adult hair easily so when you brush them out maybe you end up pulling out the entire hair. Maybe instead of brushing out like that you can try slowly untangling the hair first. I used to do that with Sasha....I'd slowly spend my time untangling the hair to make sure they're as tangle free as possible before I brush them. That way I minimise pulling the hair out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when I'm watching tv I would pet him and feel for any mats. If there is I try to untangle them. Sometimes all I have to do is pull on it lightly and the tangled hair comes lose (gets pulled out). He doesn't scratch so he's not itchy. But I definitely noticed that since his hair started matting that when I brush his hair some of it falls out. Not a Lot. And I don't find hair anywhere else like on the sofa or bed or on my clothes.
Virangos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info on poodle coats.
http://www.allpoodleinfo.com/Poodle_Coat_Hair_Issues.html

Also try a grooming spray. I helps to loosen the matts without pulling the hair out. If you can find it, Gold Medal Pets Formula 30 Always worked the best for me. pet Smart used to carry it, maybe some stores still do, mine dosent.
Good luck

In dog Years I/m Dead

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: