HELP! My dog won't eat. Any advice?

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! My dog won't eat. Any advice?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle
::  
kimsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: HELP! My dog won't eat. Any advice? Reply with quote

Troy is 8 months old now and he's won't eat! I have to say that he was never a big eater and this has always been a concern for us but this past weekend, he threw up white foam again because of his empty stomach. When we first got him, the breeder gave us IAMS but we swtiched to Merricks. After he stopped eating that, we switched to FROMMs and then just this past weekend, we bought Science diet because I was over at my cousins house and they feed their dog science diet and Troy ate it up. But of course when we gave it to him at our place, he didn't eat it. We have also tried soft foods from Innova, Merricks, Caesars.... Nothing. He just goes over, sniffs the food and walks off. It's quite evident now that he has no energy.

There was an incident like this a couple months back where he had no energy to even walk! We got so desperate that my husband steamed chicken and gave it to him and he ate it up and was fine after. It's like we have to play this waiting game because I keep teling myself that when he gets hungry enough, he will eat but he just won't! My husband and I are so stressed out over this because we don't want to resort to having to cook for him!

I know that he's hungry because when we're about to have our dinner, he comes over and looks at our food wanting it. We don't give him much human food other than the occasional little piece of cheese or chicken. Now we're totally cutting him off.

Does anyone else have this problem? The training at petsmart told me that Poodles are very manuipulative when its comes to their food so i am wondering if he's playing a very mean game with me.

I keep telling myself to wait and he'll have to eat but he literally just sits there with no enery (he's a very hyper dog too) and I feel like such a bad mom. Any advice would be appreciated....
poodlema

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he drinking? How much does he weigh, you don't want his blood sugar to go too low, have you tried nutri cal supplement? I would be tempted to offer him milk, unless someone knows of a good reason he couldn't have it. Poodles can be picky, but he is a real holdout. Have you moistened dry food? Some people mix canned food in with dry, or add scrambled egg or cottage cheese, but I guess what reallly matters is how you want to deal with this in the long run. I assume he is an only dog, they seem to eat better if there is some competition for the food.
Roca-brown
marge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had this problem, with mine
Try putting tiny pieces of chicken mixed in with the food, when he wont eat
I know a lot will disagree, but I say play a game with the food, if you have to , like I pretend I am eating it and act like it so good, then I offer her a bite, and she will eat it,
So what ever it takes to get them to eat. Thats what I say , evenif it is wsrong, I dont care I just want her to eat.
also for weeks she would just eat one meal a day and that was about 8 at night.
Never liked treats, cheese and so forth. I thiink some are just this way, and you and I have one
A daughter has 2 shi tuz...got to learn how to spell it right
anyway they are 10 yearrs old and one has always been that way about eating. never was that interested in food, and at times just wont eat.and will throw up foam when stomach is empty,
So she does the begging and playing food games when hers decides not to eat, until it has ate some food
she has to go to work and doesnt want doggie vomit when she gets home,
kimsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He drinks plenty of water. We have tried mixing the hard and wet food. We have tried microwaving the food to get the smells going, we have put honey on his food too. When we put bits of chicken or even his treats mixed with his food (hard or soft), he picks out all the treats and spits out the rest of his food all over the floor making a big mess! It's really unreal how fussy he is. I play games with him. Last night, I pretended I was eating his food and he would push me over to get some but put it in his mouth and then spit it out!

Do you think I should see a vet over this? He's taking like a quarter size amount of food for the day. We have done a lot of the things I guess that you shouldn't do to spoil your dog to get him to eat but I don't want to resort to having to make his food. I must draw the line.... His meals are quite an ordeal to us.
kimsy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to answer your question about his weight. He is almost 10lbs! Hardly a toy poodle. Funny when I bought him from the breeder, she told me that he would be 4-6 lbs as his parents were 6lbs and he was the runt of the litter. But he just kept growing and he's skinny! You can feel all of his ribs down his back and stomach. I don't think its a good thing. If he was a really small dog, I am sure I would be even more stressed but he's a growing boy that doesn't like eating...
Never thought about Milk for dogs. Is that okay?
poodlema

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if milk is okay, but mine love it, sometimes when I am finished eating my cereal, I let them drink what's left, after 3 years they are still alive and well, that's all I know.
Roca-brown
marge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didnt say how tall he ws for that wright size,
but IMO he needs to see a vet about this, Something sounds wrong' He needs to eat.
my girls

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimsy wrote:
I forgot to answer your question about his weight. He is almost 10lbs! Hardly a <b>toy</b> <b>poodle</b>. Funny when I bought him from the breeder, she told me that he would be 4-6 lbs as his parents were 6lbs and he was the runt of the litter. But he just kept growing and he's skinny! You can feel all of his ribs down his back and stomach. I don't think its a good thing. If he was a really small <b>dog</b>, I am sure I would be even more stressed but he's a growing boy that doesn't like eating...
Never thought about Milk for dogs. Is that okay?

No, don't give him milk it causes gas in many dogs and people as well. I happen to be one of them. I asked my vet and he said no don't even try it.

Try cottage cheese and even a little yogart to settle his stomach,

I think you need to take him to the vet immediately. When they stop eating there is normally a real problem! Changing foods all the time is not helpful either.

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Char, mom to Sasi & Prissy - They are "my girls"♥
lil_MAINEiacs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallulah is super fussy too. Has been from the moment she came home.

I see you have tried a lot of foods but haven't tried a lot of premium dry food..maybe try something a bit better and see if he likes it? My poodle will eat Canidae but I am switching them all off it because they changed the formula. The others now eat Innova, which is a good food, as is Wellness and many others.

You can go to a pet store and see if they have free samples of food, or you can get samples at http://www.k9cuisine.com/ and just pay shipping on most of them. I ordered a bunch for Tallulah and it lasted a LONG time. I could feed this dog easily on free samples!

I'd put the food down and if he doesn't eat it offer nutrical and the offer the food again at a set time ( like mid day) and if he doesn't eat it in 15 minutes, pick it up and give a little nutrical, and so on. You could also try to offer the nutrical, wait ten minutes and then feed him and see if it stimulates his hunger/settles his tummy.

A vet visit and bloodwork wouldn't hurt to rule out anything medical that might be causing him an upset tummy or this loss of appetite.
DL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I only feed real food (or all people food!) so I don't know what to tell you. You can make a well balance meal for dogs with real food.

Check out Dr. Pitcairn's book.

You could also get a premix that balances the fresh food. If he will eat chicken or beef, I think he is telling you something!

http://www.urbanwolf.cc/

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/index.shtml

http://alpha-nutrition.stores.yahoo.net/

Good luck!

Dawn and Spike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: