Multiple poodle syndrome strikes again!

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple poodle syndrome strikes again!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle
::  
Kozy's_Mama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Multiple poodle syndrome strikes again! Reply with quote

I've read about it, but I never thought that it would happen to me. I am considering adopting another toy poodle. Kozy, my puppy, is four months right now, but the poodle I am considering is a year and a half. He is friendly and does well with other dogs.

What I'm wondering is: has anyone had experience with two poodles? I'm about to start school again, and, while my schedule is flexible and the dogs would not be crated for hours on end, I was hoping that another dog would be able to keep Kozy company. I was also hoping that another (well-behaved) dog would help Kozy learn how he is supposed to act (in addition, of course, to his ongoing puppy training).
Coco86

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had at least two poodles at a time off and on since childhood. Right now we have three! It's really nice having three actually, since everyone gets along for the most part and they are all minding well. It's also a lot of work, but if you have a good schedule, I think that you will be just fine with two!

I say go ahead and get the other one if you feel comfortable about them getting along, and you are financially able to take care of two dogs. We got Sunny as a puppy when Rosie was six months old, and she really taught him the ropes. She's his boss, and even tries to boss Sadie around after we got her. Laughing But I think they are actually really close with one another. It will be good for Kozy to have a playmate. I think that's important. And poodles are like potato chips...you can't have just one!
poodlemama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm seriously Muliple poodles is not 2. he he he he he. I have had 4 for 6 years now and I can't imagine it any other way. But it is more expensive the more you have especially since poodles need grooming. But life is short and it is only money so I say go for it.
acgilbertson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first got Zeus I was happy with one. But after we had Zeus for a few months I knew I wanted another one. Now with what we have been going through with Zoey I don't think I would add another one, but given a better breeder maybe I would. I don't know yet if we will add on a third puppy. We always said that we wanted a large family and since we had such a hard time having one baby (I have PCOS and had 2 miscarriages before Trenton), puppies, poodle puppies are just like having more kids (they even throw fits and have their own little quirks like people). So would we have more, jury is still out.

Kozy's_Mama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone, for the replies and advice.

This dog has not been trained, but I have a fairly flexible school schedule for the next four months, so I would have time to work with him and Kozy. I think that right now my main concern is for after I graduate from undergrad and go on to graduate school. On the one hand, I worry about stressing out about two dogs while in school. On the other hand, I'm terribly afraid that Kozy will be lonely and bored when he is home alone.

Still thinking this through, although the dog is an absolute doll and I'm so tempted ...
radiocricket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By not trained do you mean he's not housebroken? If the one you're considering is a year and a half and not housebroken, it would make wonder what kind of situation he's in and may indicate that he'll be more work when it comes to training. If you don't have much free time, you may want to consider one that won't be as challenging. On the other hand, poodles are smart and very fast learners and he could turn out to be the best poodle ever!

-Janice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the little guy that I was looking at is gone now Sad

The person I was corresponding with told me that he is housebroken but has to be let out a lot, which I sort of took to mean that they had not taken the time to potty train him properly. Perhaps it was for the best that someone else took him. I think that the more I corresponded with his original owner, the more frustrated I became about the ways in which this person had so obviously neglected teaching her dogs very basic things. I felt bad for the little guy, and he was such a sweet doll baby, but I'm glad that he will be in a forever home. Smile
poodlema

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While more than one poodle, is more work, dogs are pack animals, and I think it is easier on them to have companions when you can't always be home with them.
Roca-brown
ilovemypoodle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poodlema wrote:
While more than one <b>poodle</b>, is more work, dogs are pack animals, and I think it is easier on them to have companions when you can't always be home with them.

so nice to see you back. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love having 2 poodles. Gucci is way more happier now since he got Miu Miu. And talking about MPS...I'm seriously getting that now. I want another poodle! But they are so close in age. Miu Miu is only 3 months younger than Gucci. If I get another pup now that would mean they will all be old around the same time. I don't think I would be able to handle that emotional. So I think I'm going to try to wait another 3-4 years and get 2 poodles at the same time. Then I will have 4! I'll be catching up to poodlemama soon. Lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: