Importance of Color When Considering Personality?

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importance of Color When Considering Personality?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle
::  
toyp

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Importance of Color When Considering Personality? Reply with quote

I have had red, apricot, and black toy poodles in the past. I've been looking for a male apricot puppy (my male apricot had a wonderful disposition!), but have found a superlative breeder (have extensively checked credentials) who has a brown toy poodle puppy.

I've never had a brown poodle, nor have any of my friends. I've heard that "browns are the clowns" of the poodle world. Does anyone have any idea about toy poodle colors and personality/temperament? I'd be interested in hearing personal experience from pet owners, as well as comments from people who have done research in this area. Thank you so much!
NikkiG

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of color and personality being related. Very interesting though. My mother-in-law has a brown (chocolate) toy and she seems to have a very similar personality to my apricot. They are both pretty high strung. My white on the other hand is a sweetie who loves everyone and everything, but she is still a puppy so that may change. I say if it is a reputable breeder and you like the puppy the color should not matter, in my experience is has no bearing on personality.
Bellamia

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my white with almond colored ears Bella is a total crazy head haha she has lots and lots of energy! She also has an attitude to boot, just like her mom ha! But she is soo loving and sweet at the same time, never bites and has never once been aggressive. Not sure if it has to do with color or genetics, but I wouldn't trade her for anything!!! Very Happy It would be interesting to find out if their personality has anything to do with color.
Toni

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been around toy poodle my entire life. My Mom and Grandmother have also had Toys throughout their lives (My Grandmother bred them...)
I'm not sure if we've ever put color with personality. We've had many colors from Apricot to White, including Parti.
I think dogs are like people, their personality is born with them, the personality becomes more prominent when it is nurtured.
Mya is white....shes the biggest clown I've ever known. She can give us more laughs then a good TV sitcom but she is also very loving, patient and smart.
I've had Apricot, Black, and now White Toys. My Apri was laid back, calm not hyper at all. My Black wasn't a clown but was very hyper, had no patience and thought everything should've been about her.
I've never done any research on this, it's just all from experience.
Sophiesmom

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Toni, I think all dogs are born with thier personality and is nurtured Or ruined, sadly, as they get older.
My Sophie is black and very loving, likes to run and play, but is laid back at the same time. Versace is Cream/apricot, I tell every one that he is spastic!!! He runs around like a "ninny" most of the time. He never listens until he gets ready to! I just think that it is him. I have done research on toy poodles and poodles in general, I have not come across many articles, if any that I remember that link color and personality. But, I will be trying to find out more. (I love to do research).
I will let you know what I find if anything.
Bellamia

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophiesmom wrote:
at the same time. Versace is Cream/apricot, I tell every one that he is spastic!!! He runs around like a "ninny" most of the time. He never listens until he gets ready to! I just think that it is him.

haha sounds like Versace and Bella would get along great! Laughing I def know what it is like to have a spastic poodle lol.
Crissi

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know colour has no bearing on the personality, have to agree with the others. I think it's a misconception to be honest.

If you love brown(chocolate) go for it, especially having found a good reputable breeder, it is so important to have all the necessary health checks, to me that is priority.

Let us know if you are going for it xxx

www.kyraandluna.co.uk - Quality pet Accessories
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
toyp

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Photos of/Stories about Browns? Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your replies! The puppy won't be old enough to come home with me until next month, but I think I've found an excellent situation. Still, I am so strongly drawn to apricots. I think it's partially because it's so much easier to see their little eyes and expressions (due to the contrast between the coat and eye colors). Of course, it's also because I was so close to my apricot (though I have dearly loved all my poodles).

Anyone have photos of/stories about your brown? It seems to be more difficult to find information online about browns than other colors. The breeder has kindly offered to let me visit before the puppy is old enough to go, but the breeder is a couple of hours away, so I want to do as much as I can to prepare before going.

The breeder tells me this little guy is a lovie with a wonderful disposition, and I believe this is the truth. The breeder is quite meticulous and checks out perfectly; clearly wants the best match for the puppy. Frankly, I think I'll probably fall in love with the puppy as soon as I see him––and that will be that!

Thanks again to all of you. This is a wonderful online community! And if anyone else has comments about relationship of color to temperament––or about the temperament of your own "baby"––I'd like to hear more.
Crissi

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing My little Luna is black, I have only had her for 3 wks, but I can tell you she is very sweet and crazy at the same time! She loves cuddles and she loves running around like mad and play lots! She is a terror to my 17 months old labrador, who lets her get away with anything...

I went to visit Luna twice while at her breeder, and it was over 3hrs journey there and again back! It was totally worth it though as when I went to pick her up she definitely recognised me and wasn't at all upset when we took her home.

I have met a couple of people whi have chocolates and they are just as adorable as any other colour. I am sure you will fall in love with your pup and I can't wait to hear all about it and see pics!

Good luck xxx

www.kyraandluna.co.uk - Quality pet Accessories
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NikkiG

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of my mother-in-laws chocolate toy Kaluah. She is almost 15 years old so the graying around her mouth is from age.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> General Poodle All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: