licking constantly, bad breath

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

licking constantly, bad breath
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
kburke2727

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: licking constantly, bad breath Reply with quote

Hi! My first doggie is a rescue and she is a toy poodle. She came with lots of issues but we love her anyway. Anyone have experience with a rescued toy? I have many questions but I'll take 2 at a time as to not overwhelm.

1- she licks me constantly. i know dogs do this but it is like she is bathing me. she will be very thorough and even take her paws to move my hand around as to lick in between my fingers! (No they aren't sticky) Smile Is this normal for poodles?

2- one of chloe's issues is that she was malnurished and consequently had an infection in her mouth and teeth. The infection even got into her jaw and broke it. (It's ok, she's not in pain) But the vet said she may need her remaining few teeth pulled at some point in the future. Is bad breath a sign of a returned infection? Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do for her bad breath even though she can't eat anything hard b/c of her lack of teeth?

Thank you for any advice! I'll post a pic of her soon!

Kelly [/img]
Nichole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly, congratulations on your new baby. It brings a smile to my face when I hear people choosing to adopt from a shelter or something like that.

Bad breath can mean a few things like infection. Or your pup just need a bone to chew on, obviously your dog can't so i would just take your pup to the vet just to make sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kelly, Bad breath could be a yeast infection or any of a myrid of other infections.
Could be the food. could be like my Noelle, she just has stinky breath.
My chester likes to lick ears. He has to lick both of them but only for a couple minutes.
Noelle on the other hand is constant. Face, feet, hands, if she can get her tongue on it she will lick it raw.
I know they like the salt from our skin, but it could be a sign of a vitamine deficiancy. Have her checked out by your vet, and tell him/her of your concerns.
Chester was rescued from the SPCA and he is a great dog. Glad you were able to give her a good home. To many babys don't get the chance.

In dog Years I/m Dead

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Puppylove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chloe had the chronic bad breath too so I tried the Tylan 40 (aka Angel Eyes) and it's only been a week and Chloe's breath is totally normal now. I am fast becoming a believer of that stuff!
stilldew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: licking and bad breath Reply with quote

My poodle was a rescue too. He had very bad breath, tear staining and licked all the time at first. I put him on 4 weeks of Angel Glow and it seemed to help all the problems. He still licks some but not all the time like he used to. I had to mix the Angel Glow with a little wet cat food to get him to take it. I have not given him any of the medicine for a year now and he is just starting to lick a litttle more lately and getting some staining, so I'm going to give him another 4 week round. How is you little one doing?
jrigs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: bad breath!! Reply with quote

When i first got my poodle i noticed she had stinky breath, the vet said it was just puppy breaath. at this point i was feeding her eukanuba. She changed food to kibbless and her breath still smelled like sewage. i noticed her teeth were green and brown. another trip to the vet, and she said she had peridontal disease. She has to get a routine teeth cleaning which they use anastesia. this is pricy. i brush her teeth every day and give her biscuits special for teeth cleaning i dont give her raw hides cause i get nervous she will choke on it. so far her teeth look a little better the green is gone but the smell is still there. i will get her teeth cleaned by the vet but for now i have to take other actions that are inexpensive.
Shawna_Laufer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My poodle licks a lot too. Mainly the air- she will sit there with a spaced out look in her eye, just a-licking away. We call her "snake dog" sometimes. She will also "bathe" anyone that sits still long enough and lets her. Does anyone know why they do this??? I am thinking about switching her to a higher quality dog food so hopefully that might help since I hear that it could be a vitamin deficency.
april

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Stinky breath Reply with quote

Hi everyone, haven't been on here in a while..the last time was when my little April's breath stunk like a sewer, I took her to 2 different vets they said it was her teeth, i really didn't think they looked bad , but i went ahead , they cleaned them and she still had the same smell. I had been giving her flaxseed oil in with her food for dry skin... I decided to stop it and see, and that is what it was, her breath is fine now. This may not help, but you never know it might be something besides her teeth.
porshiana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs that have been abused, and many that haven't, will lick to calm you and/or show affection. Tommy sometimes gets upset with the girls trying to play with him and starts growling(they do kind of attack him). Lady, still playing the mommy role, will run up to Tommy and start licking him to calm him down from growling at her girls, and it works. I think an abused dog is probably afraid of you getting angry, and trying to keep you calm.

I personally hate being licked in the face. When my dogs lick my face I tap them on the head. I don't hit them, just a little tap/shove as soon as they do it, and a firm NO KISSES, followed by more petting to let them know the affection is fine without the licking. Now none of them lick anyone in their face, sometimes on the hand or arm, but not the face. Dogs don't need to feel pain, but they do need to know what you don't like them doing, and they respond to body language naturally, response to words is unnatural and needs training.

I know it is difficult to correct an abused dog, but it is also necessary. Considering that you don't want her afraid of you, maybe some redirect would be a better approach. When she is licking you, gently and firmly say "No Kisses" and take her muzzle and turn it away from your body. Then pet her head and such. Keep redirecting her every time she goes to lick, and she should catch on. Eventually, when you say"no kisses" she should just stop licking. When/if she does, reward her with petting or treats.

letting her continue to lick you is definitely not going to solve the problem. Dogs need to know what you want from them, and once you make it clear to them, they generally want to please you.

http://www.geocities.com/porshiana
GracieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our female licks all the time. She has done this since she was a puppy. On her way home when we got her, as a puppy she licked my hubby the whole way home. She is a "soft" dog. So she acts very timid and submissive.

She is a "caretaker" we call her. If I am sad or cry she rushes to me and starts to lick me and will be velcro to me till I feel better.

Our male we call him "DR Skippy" because he only licks if you have a boo boo, and he try's to fix it. He gives kisses but they are short and not often. The way he shows affection is by putting the side of his face on ours and he rubs you. It is so cute. We call them Skippy hugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: