Epilepsy

Click here to see complete slide show The Toy Poodle Forum 
This website was build with the intention to give every poodle fan a place to learn, discuss and share information about this beatiful breed: The Toy Poodle

RSS feedRSS   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   LinksPoodle Links   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Epilepsy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health
::  
Coco86

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Epilepsy Reply with quote

We found out on November 30th that Rosie has epilepsy after she experienced her second seizure in three months. She had her first seizure on August 30th, but we weren't sure what it was at the time, and the vet we took her to couldn't find anything wrong with her except mild anemia. We thought it was a heat stroke since it was a very hot summer, but suspected in the back of our minds that it was a seizure. The vet told us that if it happened again to get a video of it.

Rosie had her second seizure on November 30th, and I grabbed my ipod to video it to show the emergency vet. We took Rosie into my parents' room and set her down on the bed and sat with her until the seizure was over, then took her into the 24 hour emergency vet. After seeing the video and hearing that the same exact behavior occured in August, the vet diagnosed her with epilepsy. They said since she has no signs of a brain tumor or other brain issues, that it was likely genetic epilepsy that usually develops between the ages of 1 and 6 years old. They told us since she'd only had two seizures so far that we didn't have to start her on medication right away.

She acted listless for the rest of the week, lost her appetite, and shivered a lot so we took her into one of our regular vets that was nearby. We were thinking she had an ear infection or something, but the vet said it was still the after effects of her seizure, they get tired and can lose their appetite and shake a lot after a seizure. He said that two seizures in three months was too many, contrary to what we had been told at the emergency vet. So he did blood work and Rosie was started on Phenobarbital. She was also a little dehydrated from not drinking much, so he gave her a shot of fluids. She felt better almost immediately, and has been on the medication for a week now. Her appetite is back better than ever, and she's back to playing with her ball.

She goes back in for more blood work next week to make sure the medication is at the right level. He has her on the lowest dose right now. Higher doses have the potential to cause liver damage. She seems to be tolerating the medication very well, though, and takes the pill in her food everyday.

So we are hoping for the best and that Rosie lives a long and happy life! She's always been a very nervous, high strung dog. Has anyone else here had experience with dogs having seizures? I've read epilepsy is common in poodles.
Kasst157

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear about Rosie. Must have been very hard for you to watch her go thru the seizures. Good thing you took her to your regular vet. I wonder why the emergency vet said that. But glad to hear that she is feeling better now.

Hugs from Gucci and Miu Miu
Nee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad Rosie is back to her happy little self again. It would have been very stressful watching Rosie go through that. Now that she's back with her regular vet who is monitoring her closely, I'm sure that is a huge comfort for everyone.

Lots of hugs from Peiko too Smile
Coco86

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24 hour emergency vet is mostly run by interns or something, from what my sister told us. So maybe they don't have as much knowledge as the regular vets, except in critical care situations and things like that. I think it's a good thing to get second or even third opinions in situations like this. We have always gotten second opinions on the big stuff, like with Sunny's knee in July 2012 so we could get him scheduled for surgery right away.

The emergency vet is good in emergencies though. They were the first step in getting Rosie where she needed to be. But it was important to follow up with her regular vet. We have two vets we use regularly, who are both very good but one is farther away from where we live. Another nearby vet we use when we need one in a pinch is good for vaccinations, treating ear infections, or minor cuts/injuries that the dogs may get. So we have a network of support and second opinions if we need them.

I was also reading online that some dogs get an increased appetite when taking Phenobarbital, which is a good thing for Rosie since she's such a picky eater. Both vets told us that the seizures are more scary for the human to watch than they are for the dog experiencing them, since they often aren't aware they're having one.
Jack-A-Poo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to read about Rosie! But I'm glad she is doing better now that she's on medication....pls keep us posted on her progress. Hugs to you and her!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words, Jack a Poo! Rosie had her first check up on Tuesday since starting on her medication. The vet said she is doing very well, and that her increased appetite is a sign that the medication is working. He ran the Phenabarbital levels and also a CBC since she was dehydrated last time, and the results should be in tomorrow. He noticed that she is a lot calmer now. She doesn't seem to bark as much, and seems more relaxed.
3POOCHYS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Rosie doing.
Coco86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosie is doing really good! We just got her Phenobarbitol filled for another 3 months. The vet said as long as there's no seizures she only has to have her blood tested once a year, because her levels are in good range. She still likes to snuggle close to me in bed at night though, haha.
Nee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad Rosie is doing well now. I've found with Peiko, once a snuggler, always a snuggler ! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toy Poodle Forum Forum Index -> Poodle Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: